Recipe by: Arlene Jacobs
2 large leeks, thinly sliced – white parts only
2 tbsps. butter or vegetable oil
Salt & black pepper, to taste
1 parmesan rind, or ¼ cup grated parmesan
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1-1/2 cups white beans, cooked (can be canned)
4 cups raw spinach
6 drops hot sauce
- Sweat the leeks in the butter or oil for about 8 minutes until softened, but not browned. Once the leeks begin to soften, season with salt & pepper.
- Add 1 quart cold water, raise the heat and bring to a boil. Lower heat, add oregano and parmesan, re-season as necessary and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the white beans, spinach and hot sauce and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes more, until flavor is fully developed. Check seasonings.
Coconut Vegetable Tofu Stew
- 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 large or two small Onions (cut in a 3/4 inch dice)
- 1 bulb Fennel (cut in 3/4 inch dice)
- 2 red peppers (cut in 3/4 inch dice)
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut Milk
- 6 1/8th inch Slices of ginger
- 1/2 cup Cilantro Leaves and tender stems
- 1 teaspoon Lime zest, finely grated
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- Hot Pepper Sauce (to taste)
- 3 large Carrots (cut into 2 inch chunks)
- 1 1/2 cups Broccoli Florets
- 1 14 ounce Firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4-inch dice
In a medium saucepan, heat coconut oil and add onions, fennel and peppers. Season with salt and sweat for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften.
Add vegetable stock and simmer until stock is reduced by about one half. Add coconut milk, lime zest, lime juice, ginger, cilantro, sugar and hot sauce. Bring back to a simmer and add carrots, cook 15 minutes. Add broccoli and tofu and cook 10 minutes more.
NOTE: Serve over Brown Rice
Crunchy Spelt Salad with Zesty Dressing
- 2 cups cooked spelt kernels (see pkg. directions)
- 1/2 cup ripe cherry tomatoes, cut in ¼’s
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- 3/4 cup cauliflower florets, raw
- 2 whole scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon grapefruit zests (lightly grated, avoiding any white pith)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (secret crunchy ingredient)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil (if available), or substitute canola
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients, season generously and serve immediately.
Yellow Lentil Soup with Spinach & Ginger
A complete meal including beans, greens and vegetables. Super easy to make and packed with flavor.
- 2 cups Dried Yellow Lentils
- 1 whole Shallot, peeled
- 1 whole Clove of garlic, peeled
- 1.5 inch Piece of ginger, cut into 4 slices
- 3/4 cup Baby spinach
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
Rinse lentils and add to a medium pot with shallot , garlic ginger, and 5 cups water. Bring to a low simmer.
Cook for about 35 minutes or until lentils are soft. Add salt and Tabasco.
Add baby spinach and cook for about 4 minutes more.
Miso Vegetable Soup
Quickest, easiest soup recipe for the cold weather (with complete proteins).
- 4 tbsp White Miso paste
- 4 cups Water
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Pickled Ginger
- 1 cup Cooked Brown Rice
- 1/2 cup Cooked Broccoli - cut into florets
- 3 tbsp Chopped Kimchi
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 4 tbsp Chopped Scallions
Stir 1/4 cup water into the miso until combined. Add remaining water. Add all additional ingredients except scallions and bring to just below boiling.
2. Ladle into four bowls and garnish with the chopped scallions.
OPTIONAL: Add diced soft tofu