Summertime….and the living is easy…. This simple seasonal dessert is so, so easy and perfect for company. It creates very little heat in the kitchen, and is best made the day before, so it’s ready to go. I made mine with leftover blueberry pancakes. It is classically made with leftover bread, but you could substitute brioche, challah or poundcake. (Just cut back on the sugar if using poundcake). Enjoy!
Recipe by: Arlene Jacobs
3 lbs. mixed berries (cut strawberries in ¼’s)
175 g. sugar or equivalent sweetener of choice
3 tbsps. orange juice or water
7 slices stale white bread or 7 pancakes
4 tbsps. berry jam
1 tsp. vanilla
- Wash and dry berries – lay out on paper towels. Add sugar and orange juice or water and gently bring to the boil. Cook on medium until the sugar dissolves. Add the fruit, except for the strawberries. Allow mixture to cool.
- Line a medium bowl with plastic wrap. Spread jam on the bread or pancakes. Starting with a layer on the bottom place bread or pancakes around sides of the bowl, overlapping slightly to fill the bowl.
- Ladle some of the berry juices on the bread or pancakes. Add strawberries and vanilla to the fruit mixture and stir to combine.
- Using a slotted spoon, distribute the berries in the bowl and add a little more juice.
- Dip any extra bread in the remaining juices, place on top and cover with the overhanging plastic wrap. Save extra juices.
- Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or overnight. Unmold onto large deep plate and serve with the extra juices and crème fraiche, yogurt or ice cream.
NOTE: If you have juices remaining they’d be great mixed with some sparkling water. Add some rum, framboise, or kirsch, and lemon if desired.