Tofu “Steaks” with Smoked Paprika Aioli
Who said tofu has no flavor? These are crispy on the outside and moist and flavorful on the inside. These tofu steaks will make even the most die-hard meat lover have cognitive dissonance. Seriously though, coupled with the smoky paprika aioli, this dish has all the protein and flavor needed for plant-lover and meat eater alike. Lay it on top of your favorite garden greens and add brown rice if you’re looking for that complex carb and you’ve got a really well-rounded, macro nutrient balanced meal. Enjoy!
And by the way, if you like this recipe….you will love being a part of my plant-based Summer Soup Series….I’m in my pre-launch now – FREE for the first 50 participants. Simply click below to get on the early access VIP list.
Recipe by: Arlene Jacobs
2 cups water
½ cup kosher salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1 lb. extra-firm tofu, cut into 5/8-inch planks
1 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsps. garlic powder
2 tbsps. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 cup corn starch
2 tbsps. extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup chopped parsley
• In a small pot, combine the water, salt and sugar and heat on medium-high until salt and sugar are dissolved. Let cool, place tofu planks in a shallow container and pour over the brine to cover. Allow tofu to macerate for 15 minutes.
• Remove tofu and place between paper towels to dry. Sprinkle on both sides with the oregano, garlic powder, black pepper and Worcestershire. Rub to blend.
• Heat extra-virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Spread the cornstarch on a shallow plate, dredge the tofu thoroughly in the cornstarch and pat between hands to remove excess cornstarch.
• Place in the pan and sauté for about five minutes on each side until golden brown.
• Serve immediately over greens of choice and sprinkle with parsley. Serve Smoked paprika aioli on the side.
Smoked paprika aioli:
½ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup yogurt
3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
½ tsp. smoked paprika
Salt, to taste
3-5 drops Tabasco sauce
Stir together to combine.